It’s an intriguing, tropical spirit with a dark and sordid history, and I had the happy privilege of digging into all the weird and wonderful details with my friends Ben Lyon and Jaime Windon of the Lyon Distilling Company, makers of all things yummy and rummy.
They’ve been good friends, role models, and supporters of mine for a few years now, and their rum is one of the great pleasures in my life, and so, I think we should take this as an invitation to make ourselves a drink before we dive in.
In this interview with Jaime and Ben, we discuss:
- The differences between all those rum varieties you never knew existed
- How distillers make rum that tastes grassy, funky, and every flavor in between
- The surprising history of rum in the United States and abroad
- Classic Rum cocktails and spinoffs you should try at home
- Why Bananas belong in dunder pits
- And much, much more.
Ben (@whiskeypatrol) and Jaime (@blondeboozehound) are the people who first sparked my interest in rum as a premium sipping spirit and cocktail component, and I couldn’t be more excited to share their knowledge and enthusiasm with you, so without further ado, please enjoy this curious, slightly silly, and potentially over-proof conversation with Jaime Windon and Ben Lyon.