What’s shakin, cocktail fans?
Welcome back to another episode of the Modern Bar Cart Podcast! In this episode, we chat with veteran sommelier and Madeira expert Michael Scaffidi, who gives us a fascinating crash course in one of the world’s most epic fortified wines.
Some of the things we discuss in this wide-ranging conversation include:
- How Michael changed his career aspirations from music mogul to wine expert, which led him to become a sommelier at some of the most influential restaurants in the country.
- Why Madeira has such a special place in the world of fortified wines – including stories about 300-year-old bottles, burning islands, and eye-patch-wearing explorers.
- The principle grapes, styles, and label claims that will help you decide which variety of Madeira is right for you next time you visit the liquor store.
- The similarities between a master sommelier and an expert Disk Jockey.
- What to drink when you’re hanging out with Shaquille O’Neil, and much, much more.