What’s shakin, cocktail fans?
Welcome back to another episode of The Modern Bar Cart Podcast!
This week, we’ve got an episode from the Modern Bar Cart West Coast road trip, featuring spirits expert Pedro Shanahan from 213 Hospitality and the Seven Grand whiskey bar in Los Angeles. He also runs the Seven Grand Whiskey Society, Las Perlas’ Mezcal Collective, and the Rum Society at Caña Rum Bar, and he is the host of the Spirit Guide Society podcast, where you can listen in to all the amazing tastings they run at all three bars.
Some of the things we cover with Pedro in this bourbon-punctuated conversation about flavor and hospitality include:
- How a yoga teaching actor with an improv background harnessed his creative powers to help build one of LA’s most exciting and revered spirits and cocktail programs.
- Why the Seven Grand Whiskey Society was formed, and what sorts of people turn out week after week to sample beautiful spirits from the US and abroad.
- Pedro’s unique approach to leading people of all experience levels through the complex and heady world of flavor.
- How to comparatively taste whiskeys with an eye toward how those spirits were created and which production or aging methods might be responsible for the flavors in the glass.
- Deep thoughts about hospitality, flavor architecture, and raisin bread.
- And much, much more.