What’s shakin, cocktail fans?
Welcome to Episode 245 of The Modern Bar Cart Podcast!
This time around, we have the pleasure of interviewing Walter Meyenberg. He’s a drinks entrepreneur who has his hands in a number of impressive projects in Mexico’s capital, but for the purposes of our conversation today, he’s the founder of Hanky Panky, an award-winning, speakeasy-style cocktail bar in La Juarez neighborhood of Mexico CIty.
In this eye-opening conversation with Walter, some of the topics we discuss include:
- Why this bar, which is so famous for being a modern “speakeasy,” wasn’t originally planned that way, and how they evolved from not even charging for drinks to winning international awards for hospitality.
- What it’s like to locate, enter, and drink at Hanky Panky, according to our mixological travel correspondent, Adam Bauer (@justhereforthedrinks).
- How Walter thinks about developing individual members of his bar team and building a community of international “friends of Hanky Panky,” and why this people-first mentality allowed the program to thrive, even during the pandemic.
- We also explore some of Walter’s other projects, like his bar Las Brujas, which places an all-female bar team in the spotlight, and Liquid Show, an educational initiative launched in partnership with other leading bar figures in Mexico City.
- Along the way, we cover the books that inspired Walter’s approach to hospitality, the design aesthetic behind throne-like bar stools and mirrored tables, foundational memories of being fed and pampered by his Lebanese mother, and much, much more.