What’s shakin, cocktail fans? Welcome to episode 253 of The Modern Bar Cart Podcast!
This time around, we’re joined by bartender Jon Schott. He’s a service industry veteran with two decades of experience under his belt working at bars and restaurants here in the DC area, and he’s here to download some serious wisdom about improving the quality of non-alcoholic cocktails both at home and at your favorite bars and restaurants.
In this wide-ranging conversation with bartender and drinks consultant Jon Schott of Riffraff Drink Company, some of the topics we discuss
- The state of the non-alcoholic drinks space, and why language and placement are tricky and need to be dialed in for every unique bar or
- restaurant menu.
- Jon’s personal journey into sobriety, including a brief detour selling home security systems, and his return to working behind the bar.
- This also leads us to think about some of the softer nuances of making drinks of all sorts: how hospitality is an ingredient, how to make people feel good before anything goes into their body, and why drinking is ultimately about knowing yourself.
- Then, we explore some of Jon’s favorite hacks for making great non-alcoholic cocktails at home, which he is currently publishing as a series of videos over on the Riffraff Drink Co. Instagram page.
- Along the way, we explore how to use guest feedback like sonar, the use of clarity as a vehicle for surprise in cocktails, the joys of nose-to-tail mint butchery, and much, much more.
You can find Jon pouring FREE samples of his creations over at Umbrella Dry Drinks in Alexandria, VA pretty much every Saturday, and you can reach out or follow along for his awesome instructional videos over on Instagram @riffraffdrink_co.