In this episode, Eric sits down with distiller and renaissance man Peter Ahlf of Mt. Defiance Cidery and Distillery in Middleburg, Virginia. Peter is a really fascinating guy with an eclectic professional background and a passion for making great spirits.
Some of the things we discuss with Peter include:
- How a NASA engineer-turned-carpenter applies his skills to distilling
- How to transform a gas station office into a steampunk tasting room
- The history and regulatory intricacies of misfit spirits like absinthe and cassis
- The process of developing flavor profiles in liqueurs and vermouths
- What to drink during the “Green Hour” in Paris
- And much, much more
You can (and should) follow Mt. Defiance on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, and we really hope some of you get the chance to check out their awesome facilities in Middleburg sometime.