In this episode, Eric sits down with distiller and renaissance man Peter Ahlf of Mt. Defiance Cidery and Distillery in Middleburg, Virginia. Peter is a really fascinating guy with an eclectic professional background and a passion for making great spirits.
Some of the things we discuss with Peter include:
- How a NASA engineer-turned-carpenter applies his skills to distilling
- How to transform a gas station office into a steampunk tasting room
- The history and regulatory intricacies of misfit spirits like absinthe and cassis
- The process of developing flavor profiles in liqueurs and vermouths
- What to drink during the “Green Hour” in Paris
- And much, much more