What’s shakin, cocktail fans?
Welcome to another episode of The Modern Bar Cart Podcast!
Let’s kick this one off with a question: how do you feel about Scotch?
In the spirits & cocktail world, it’s one of the most beloved, yet polarizing spirits on the market. And with hundreds of years of accumulated tradition, regulation, and competition, the Scotch whisky landscape is as fascinating today as it has ever been.
Our interview guest, Adam Safir, is a Scotch expert with a passion for whiskies produced on a tiny island called Islay, and he kindly agreed to take me on a liquid tour of some of the finest drams hailing from that briney, smokey place.
In Part I of this in-depth interview and Scotch tasting with Adam Safir of the DC Islay Scotch society, some of the topics we discuss include:
- How Adam fell in love with Scotch, and what drove him to really dive deep into this particular region.
- All about whisky societies, including how to find a group to join in your area.
- How Scotch whiskies produced on Islay traditionally differ in style from those made in other famous regions like the Highlands, or Speyside, for example.
- Some important definitions for terms like “malting” and “peat,” and an examination of the role that terroir plays in peated malts.
- How to think about technical terms like Phenol Parts per Million (or PPM)
- A tasting of several impressive Islay Scotch expressions,
- And much, much more.