What’s shakin, cocktail fans?
Welcome to Episode 234 of The Modern Bar Cart Podcast!
Thanks for joining me for this interview episode, where we track down the best and brightest minds in the spirits and cocktail world so that we can share their secrets with you.
This time around, we’re joined by Andrew Merinoff. He’s one of the co-founders of Chinola Liqueur, which is an innovative – and I mean truly innovative – passion fruit liqueur. Recently, Chinola has been taking the bar world by storm, and we’re about to find out why.
In this flavorful, entrepreneurial conversation with Chinola Liqueur co-founder Andrew Merinoff, some of the topics we explore include:
- Andrew’s family legacy in the spirits world, including his very real ties to Canadian whisky magnates and Prohibition-era New York Bootleggers.
- How Chinola started in a blender in a Dominican Republic apartment and blossomed into a category-defying cocktail ingredient thanks to some old-world European liqueur expertise.
- Why many people are under the mistaken impression that passion fruit is pink – and what the Chinola team is doing on the agricultural front to ensure that their fruits remain delicious, all-natural, and sustainable.
- We also dig into the very important ways that Andrew and his team actively partner with the community in the DR so that they’re not merely showing up appropriating a native fruit, and exporting its flavor to the US market.
- Along the way, we learn why passionfruit evokes a feeling of nostalgia in many people (myself included), the surprising similarities between Chinola and a product that many people call “bartender’s ketchup,” why the Spanish word for “one who gossips” might come up at your next brunch, and much, much more.